Friday, February 24, 2012

Perspective and Biases

"The golden age of Science Fiction is 12"
Peter Graham

I thought I'd better explain some about my perspectives and biases when it comes to Star Wars so that those who read this will, perhaps, understand where I'm coming from and some of the decisions I make.

I am an original trilogy guy.  I've only seen 1 1/2 of the prequels.  I haven't read any of the novels or short stories and have only read a few comics.  The only Star Wars video game I've played is Lego Star Wars (which rocks by the way.)

I am not a prequel hater.  What I've seen has been mildly entertaining.  It's just that they do not capture my imagination as the original movies did.  I was 12 when The Empire Strikes Back hit the big screen.  I remember distinctly when and where I was when I saw it and the other movies.  Hence the quote above.  I just don't know that much about the rest of the Star Wars Universe.  And actually, much of my knowledge of things outside of the original trilogy comes from Lego Star Wars.

I am also not a super fan.  I love the original movies and the joy they brought me and still bring me.  I recently rewatched them with my sons.  It was there first time.  I do not, however, salivate over every detail of the Star Wars Universe (not that there's anything wrong with that) and periodically have questions about it.  One such is this:  Why is Leia called princess?  I know Queen Amidala was her mum but she being raised by the Organas and they weren't royalty were they?  There is probably a simple answer that the more knowledgeable can answer easily but that I don't know.  I will probably pose other such questions here as they strike me.

So, I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment